Professor Wolfgang Stroebe holds appointments both at Utrecht Unviersity and the University of Groningen. He is a past president of the European Association of Experimental Social Psychology and founding director of the Dutch Research Institute for Psychology and Health. He received the research award for outstanding scientific achievements concerning death and loss of the American Association of Death Counseling and Education in 2002, the Tajfel Award for outstanding scientific achievements and contribution to the development of social psychology of the European Association of Experimental Social Psychology in 2005, the lifetime achievement award of the German Psychological Association and an honorary doctorate from the University of Louvain (Belgium) in 2002. He is a member of the German National Academy of Science, Fellow of APS (resigned), SPSP, BPS and SPSSI. He has authored numerous books, chapters and articles, and for 25 years was co-editor of the European Review of Social Psychology.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Group Processes
- Health Psychology
- Persuasion, Social Influence
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Fennis, B. M., & Stroebe, W. (2010). The psychology of advertising. Hove: Psychology Press
- Hewstone, M., Stroebe, W., & Jonas, K. (Eds.). (2012). Introduction to social psychology (5th ed.). Oxford: BPS Blackwell/Wiley.
- Kruglanski, A. W., & Stroebe, W. (Eds.). (2011). Handbook of the history of social psychology. New York: Psychology Press.
- Stroebe, W. (2011). Social psychology and health (3rd ed.). Maidenhead, UK: Open University Press.
- Stroebe, W. (2008). Dieting, overweight and obesity: Self-regulation in a food-rich environment. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Stroebe, W., & Stroebe, M. S. (1987). Bereavement and health: The psychological and physical consequences of partner loss. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Eisma, M.C., Stroebe, M.S., Schut, H.A.W., Stroebe, W. & Boelen, P.A. (2013). Avoicance processes mediate the relationsips between rumination and symptoms of psychopathology after loss. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122, 961-970
- Nijstad, B., & Stroebe, W. (2006) How the group affects the mind: A cognitive model of idea generation in groups. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 10, 186-213.
- Stroebe, M., Schut, H., & Stroebe, W. (2007). Health outcomes of bereavement. Lancet, 370, 1960-1973.
- Stroebe, W. (2013). Firearm possession and violent death. A critical review. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 18, 709-721. doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2013.07.025
- Stroebe, W. (2012). The truth about Triplett (1898), but nobody seems to care. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 7, 54-57.
- Stroebe, W. (2010). The graying of academia: Will it reduce scientific productivity? American Psychologist, 65, 660-673.
- Stroebe, W., Mensink, W., Aarts, H., Schut, H., & Kruglanski, A. (2008). Why dieters fail: Testing the goal conflict model of eating. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 44, 26-36.
- Stroebe, W., Postmes, T., & Spears, R. (2012) Scientific misconduct and the myth of self-correction in science. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 7, 670-688. DOI: 10.1177/1745691612460687
- Stroebe, W. & Strack, F. (2014). The alleged crisis and the illusion of exact replication. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 9, 59-71.
- Stroebe, W., van Koningsbruggen, G. M., Papies, E. K., & Aarts, H. (2013). Why most dieters fail buts ome succeed: A goal conflict model of eating behavior. Psychological Review, 130, 110-138. doi: 10.1037/a0030849
- Van Koningsbruggen, G. M., Stroebe, W., & Aarts, H (2011). Through the eyes of restrained eaters: Biased size perception of food objects following tempting food primes. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 42, 293-299.
- Veling, H., van Koningsbruggen, G., Aarts, H., & Stroebe, W. (2014). Targeting impulsive processes of eating behavior via the internet. Effects on body weight. Appetite, 78, 102-109.
- Verwijmeren, T., Karremans, J., Stroebe, W., & Wigboldus, D. (2011). The working limits of subliminal advertising: The role of habits. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 21, 206-213.
- Stroebe, W., Nijstad, B. A., & Rietzschel, E. F. (2010). Beyond productivity loss in brainstorming groups: The evolution of a question. Advances of Experimental Social Psychology, 43, 158-210.
Department of Social and Organizational Psychology
University of Groningen
Grote Kruisstraat 2/1
- Phone: (+31)50-3636944